5th Annual TAHOE BASIN WATERSHED EDUCATION SUMMIT (TBWES)
WHAT: TBWES partners high school students and teachers from the Tahoe Truckee region with resource specialists, and resource conservation district personnel in a 2.5 day / 2 night, extensive watershed monitoring project in Blackwood Canyon on Lake Tahoe’s West Shore. Students from both South Shore, North Shore and Truckee high schools will work along side scientific professionals, and be involved in hands-on, field data collection critical to developing future restoration activities for this impaired watershed. This program is being coordinated by SWEP (Sierra Watershed Education Partnerships) in partnership with the Tahoe Resource Conservation District, the US Forest Service, the Lake Tahoe Unified School District, and the South Tahoe Environmental Education Coalition.
WHEN: October 12th-October 14th, 2016
- October 12th: 2:45pm depart high school sites for Blackwood Canyon.
- October 13th: Field day with bird banding, invasive weed identification & removal, stream data training & collection, evening review with Forest Service Scientist & Resource Specialists
- October 14th: Field Day with more data collection & field work. Depart Blackwood Canyon by 2:30pm and return to high school sites by 3:30.
WHERE: Blackwood Canyon (3 miles south of Tahoe City on Lake Tahoe’s West Shore) Camping at Kaspian Campground and field work on Blackwood Creek in Blackwood Canyon.
WHY: TBWES will provide data critical to the US Forest Service to the continued restoration of the Blackwood Canyon. Students will be involved in a balanced experience combining community service, academic achievement, environmental stewardship, and career exploration. Bonus: Option for students to receive environmental science credit through Lake Tahoe Community College.
HOW: To participate in TBWES, fill out the TBWES application packet & required forms (linked below) and return to school office no later than Friday, September 23rdth!! Questions/more info: Ashley Phillips: email@example.com 530-208-6154 .
2016 TBWES Application and Required Forms: Students interested in participating in the 2016 TBWES must read and return the following completed forms to their school’s office no later than Friday, September 23th. (PLEASE be sure all required student & parent signatures have been completed.)
- 2016 TBWES Application Packet (2 sided with parent & student signatures required)
- USFS Volunteer Agreement (3 pages with student & parent signatures required)
- Student Agreement to Code of Conduct (with student & parent signature required)
- USFS Photo Release (with parent signature required)
- TTUSD students must also have: TTUSD Field Trip Permission Slip (signed by parent) & TTUSD Teacher Permission for Student to Participate (signed by teachers). THS permission slips linked here & NTHS permission slips linked here
- Gear List for Tahoe Basin Watershed Education Summit read the attached list and let us know if there are supplies you will need to borrow.
- $15 cash fee will be collected at program pick-up on Wednesday, October 12th
Stay tuned….student selections will be announced the week of September 26th!
2016 funding was generously provided by Clif Bar Family Foundation